Welcome to the City of South Burlington's Planning & Zoning Department. Our mission is to help the community, as it evolves, to meet its vision through strong community engagement; long-range planning across the community; and consistent, transparent, and timely development review. We strive to provide clear, friendly customer service to all.
On Election Day 2018, students from St. Michael's College, led by Professor Vince Bolduc, conducted exit poll interviews on a range of subject areas in South Burlington. The results of this poll were presented to City Council on February 4th.
Interim Zoning. On February 19, 2019, the City Council approved a modification to the map of Excluded Areas in the Interim Zoning Bylaw that had been adopted in November of 2018. To submit an application for development under the Bylaw, please complete an application and deliver it to the Department of Planning & Zoning.
Staff, on October 1st and 15th 2018, gave a two-part presentation on development trends in South Burlington to the City Council.
Vision & Goals
The City's 2016 Comprehensive Plan lays out four principal goals for the community:
Here and Into the Future, South Burlington is...
- Affordable and Community Strong - creating a robust sense of place and opportunity for our residents and visitors.
- Walkable - Bicycle and pedestrian friendly with safe transportation infrastructure.
- Green & Clean - Emphasizing sustainability for long-term viability of a clean and green South Burlington
- Opportunity Oriented - Being a supportive and engaged member of the larger regional and statewide community.
Beneath each of these goals, of course, are several sub-goals addressing affordability, strong neighborhoods, quality services & infrastructure, energy, natural resources, and economic development. We invite you to take a look at the City's Comprehensive Plan, to see where South Burlington is focused as a community.
Planning & Development Review
The Department's work falls, generally, into two areas:
- Long Range Planning: land use & transportation plans, preparing the City's Land Development Regulations, natural resources work, etc... [related links: Planning Commission, Bicycle & Pedestrian Committee, Comprehensive Plan, Ongoing Projects, Completed Projects]
- Development Review & Permitting: review of proposed development, signs, and permits for construction of all types [related links: Development Review Board, Permit Application Forms, Land Development Regulations, FAQs]
We're located at City Hall, 575 Dorset Street, South Burlington, VT. City Hall is open Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Please note that Thursday mornings 8:00 am to 12:30 pm, we are open by appointment only.